CES, Inc. was founded in 1978 by Shawn Small, P.E. and Jim Parker, P.E. Shawn and Jim were classmates at the University of Maine and worked together at a local engineering and surveying company. Initially, the two worked from their homes but soon moved to an office building to make room for their growing staff.
During the 1980s, the company outgrew two office buildings in Brewer, Maine. By 1987, a building located on South Main Street in Brewer (formerly owned by the Archdiocese and serving as an office and an elementary school) was renovated as a new office building. Today, that building still serves as CES’ headquarters.
Business first focused on sanitary sewer design—Shawn developed solid and waste management services, and Jim led the way in land development services. Their philosophy for growth was to hire good people, find out what they like to do, and build business from their expertise.
Their commitment from the start was to provide clients with high quality, cost-effective technical services. Today, that commitment remains the same.
- 1978: CES, Inc. is incorporated
- 1981: Jim Lacadie, PE, joined CES, bringing structural engineering as his expertise; Vice President in 1989
- 1985: John Pond joined CES, expanding water monitoring as a service; currently serving as Environmental Division Director and Executive Vice President
- 1987: Moved into current office in Brewer, Maine
- 1989: Acquired Timberline Land Surveying, Inc.; increasing land survey services
- 1996: Acquired Huntley Surveying & Engineering; opened second office in Machias, Maine
- 1997: Jeff Teunisen joined CES, building up survey service; currently serving as Survey Division Director and Executive Vice President
- 1997: Opened third office in Fort Fairfield, Maine
- 2000: Denis St. Peter, PE, joined CES bringing expertise in hazardous waste management; currently serving as President/CEO
- 2001: Opened fourth office in Southwest Harbor, Maine
- 2007: Moved Fort Fairfield office to Presque Isle to better serve clients in Northern Maine
- 2009: Moved Southwest Harbor office to Bar Harbor, Maine
- 2008: Travis Noyes, PE, joined CES, further expanding CES water and wastewater services; currently serving as Engineering Division Director and Executive Vice President
- 2010: Denis St. Peter, PE, took over the role of President/CEO of CES
- 2013: Acquired Summit Environmental Consultants, Inc.; strengthening environmental services and adding an office in Lewiston, Maine
- 2016: Acquired Mohlin & Company; strengthening structural engineering services and adding an office in Saco, Maine
- 2017: Welcomed Pete Tuell, PE, Dennis Kingman CHMM, Sean Thies, PE, and Chris Snowdeal, PE as Shareholders
- 2018: Acquired Bean, Whitaker, Lutz & Karah, Inc. of Fort Myers, Florida
- 2020: Acquired Haley Ward, Inc. of Maynard, Massachusetts
CES has steadily increased its staffing to approximately 100 highly qualified personnel, including registered professional engineers, licensed land surveyors, licensed site evaluators, certified environmental inspectors, wetland and soil scientists, experienced CAD operators, technicians and drafters, as well as support personnel.